Wandering Into Wisdom

This blog chronicles the knowledge, insight and wisdom I encounter every day as a leadership consultant, executive coach, educator, father, friend and citizen. This site is dedicated to my father, Louis (Jack) Laughlin, who passed on to me an appreciation for wisdom. A special thanks to my friend Isaac Cheifetz, a businessman and journalist, who helped me understand the value of blogs and encouraged me to write one.

Speak With Fire

A client was considering the question of whether to retain or fire one of his underperforming subordinates. With a great deal of frustration and anger he suddenly shouted, "FIRE." After composing himself, he thought it better to give the subordinate another chance. He decided to calmly talk to the subordinate about his lack of performance and poor behavior. I asked him to rethink his delivery. Even if a calm explanation could make the subordinate understand, an emotional message would get him moving.
From January 2005 Caravela Update