Wandering Into Wisdom

This blog chronicles the knowledge, insight and wisdom I encounter every day as a leadership consultant, executive coach, educator, father, friend and citizen. This site is dedicated to my father, Louis (Jack) Laughlin, who passed on to me an appreciation for wisdom. A special thanks to my friend Isaac Cheifetz, a businessman and journalist, who helped me understand the value of blogs and encouraged me to write one.

Addicted to Drama*

I watched the news last night and realized the level to which they dramatize everything. Drama sells. Politicians know about the power of drama and that war is the most dramatic of all human endeavors. If they want our support, they make a case for war. A chemical dependency counselor once told me that discomfort with serenity is one of the biggest challenges for addicts in recovery. It seems that they are just as obsessed with the drama surrounding their addiction as they are with the substance itself. In a way, serenity is anti-drama. Given the human cost of all this drama, a little more serenity might be good for all of us.