Wandering Into Wisdom

This blog chronicles the knowledge, insight and wisdom I encounter every day as a leadership consultant, executive coach, educator, father, friend and citizen. This site is dedicated to my father, Louis (Jack) Laughlin, who passed on to me an appreciation for wisdom. A special thanks to my friend Isaac Cheifetz, a businessman and journalist, who helped me understand the value of blogs and encouraged me to write one.

Technical Adoption*

Consumer behavior theory offers a framework to develop a personal strategy for technological change. Early adopters embrace new technology in its infancy. They brave high prices and unreliable designs for the privilege of being the first. Majority adopters accept a new technology after it becomes reliable and economical. As long as it's useful and reasonably priced, they don't mind adapting to a new technology. Late adopters accept a technology only after the previous technology is no longer available. They minimize the cost of making the transition. Once you know your comfort zone, you can determine when a new technology is ready for you.