Wandering Into Wisdom

This blog chronicles the knowledge, insight and wisdom I encounter every day as a leadership consultant, executive coach, educator, father, friend and citizen. This site is dedicated to my father, Louis (Jack) Laughlin, who passed on to me an appreciation for wisdom. A special thanks to my friend Isaac Cheifetz, a businessman and journalist, who helped me understand the value of blogs and encouraged me to write one.

Gimme Sugar*

I have an acquaintance that recently checked into a treatment center for carbohydrate addiction. Although this diagnosis sounds like a stretch, it might not be. An addiction is, “a dependence on a mood altering substance.” Since blood sugar levels have a significant impact on mood and refined carbohydrates raise blood sugar much more quickly than whole foods, this combination may be a recipe for an epidemic the likes of crack cocaine and crystal meth. Since the body quickly turns any excess blood sugar into fat you also have a recipe for obesity. Although an altered diet will solve the physical addiction, the psychological addiction presents a significant challenge.