Wandering Into Wisdom

This blog chronicles the knowledge, insight and wisdom I encounter every day as a leadership consultant, executive coach, educator, father, friend and citizen. This site is dedicated to my father, Louis (Jack) Laughlin, who passed on to me an appreciation for wisdom. A special thanks to my friend Isaac Cheifetz, a businessman and journalist, who helped me understand the value of blogs and encouraged me to write one.

Size vs Skill*

I was watching an exhibition match between an unskilled fighter and Naoka Kumagai: a five foot two inch, one hundred and fifteen pound, Japanese women's kickboxing champion. At one point during the match she kicks her much larger male opponent in the leg which he immediately mimics. As he's kicking her he lowers his hands slightly to retain his balance. She sees the opening and knocks him to the floor with a right hook. Despite his significant size advantage he was almost helpless against his highly skilled opponent.