Wandering Into Wisdom

This blog chronicles the knowledge, insight and wisdom I encounter every day as a leadership consultant, executive coach, educator, father, friend and citizen. This site is dedicated to my father, Louis (Jack) Laughlin, who passed on to me an appreciation for wisdom. A special thanks to my friend Isaac Cheifetz, a businessman and journalist, who helped me understand the value of blogs and encouraged me to write one.

Taxes*

Ever since their creation, taxes have caused controversy. Few argue with the need for public infrastructure and defense but other types of spending generate considerable debate. Even more contentious is the division of the tax burden. After decades of wrangling, the current U.S. tax code is 13,458 pages long. Finally, we arrive at the notion of taxation and spending as a method to manage the economy, without enough bread crumbs to find our way home.