Wandering Into Wisdom

This blog chronicles the knowledge, insight and wisdom I encounter every day as a leadership consultant, executive coach, educator, father, friend and citizen. This site is dedicated to my father, Louis (Jack) Laughlin, who passed on to me an appreciation for wisdom. A special thanks to my friend Isaac Cheifetz, a businessman and journalist, who helped me understand the value of blogs and encouraged me to write one.

Wrong Turn*

I recently asked the students in my leadership class to define good citizenship. They said that a good citizen contributes as much as they can and takes just what they need. I thought it was a good answer and then realized it is almost verbatim the slogan popularized by Karl Marx. “From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.” One wonders where it all went so wrong.