Wandering Into Wisdom

This blog chronicles the knowledge, insight and wisdom I encounter every day as a leadership consultant, executive coach, educator, father, friend and citizen. This site is dedicated to my father, Louis (Jack) Laughlin, who passed on to me an appreciation for wisdom. A special thanks to my friend Isaac Cheifetz, a businessman and journalist, who helped me understand the value of blogs and encouraged me to write one.

Clarity Out Of Chaos*

A.G. Lafley, CEO of Procter and Gamble, wrote a Harvard Business Review article about the function of a CEO. His thoughts express one of the key challenges for leaders; making clarity out of chaos. One of the big surprises for new executives is the complexity at the top generated by a constantly changing world and complex organizational dynamics. Many of them thought that any lack of clarity by the previous leadership was simply a communication problem or lack of clear thinking. They are soon on the phone with their predecessors looking for advice.