Wandering Into Wisdom

This blog chronicles the knowledge, insight and wisdom I encounter every day as a leadership consultant, executive coach, educator, father, friend and citizen. This site is dedicated to my father, Louis (Jack) Laughlin, who passed on to me an appreciation for wisdom. A special thanks to my friend Isaac Cheifetz, a businessman and journalist, who helped me understand the value of blogs and encouraged me to write one.

Dishonesty and Denial

Everyone hates a liar, but what about a denier? Denial is a psychological defense mechanism: defined as an unconscious mechanism for the purpose of lowering anxiety. The key word here is unconscious. Lying is a conscious act, denial is not. Confronting a liar with the truth usually produces either an admission of guilt, or another lie. Confronting someone in denial usually makes them more defensive. Except in critical situations, it might be best to leave them alone. Therapists avoid breaking through defense mechanisms too quickly because it can make patients so anxious, and then depressed, they become suicidal.