Wandering Into Wisdom

This blog chronicles the knowledge, insight and wisdom I encounter every day as a leadership consultant, executive coach, educator, father, friend and citizen. This site is dedicated to my father, Louis (Jack) Laughlin, who passed on to me an appreciation for wisdom. A special thanks to my friend Isaac Cheifetz, a businessman and journalist, who helped me understand the value of blogs and encouraged me to write one.

How To Teach

Teaching, training and delegating all involve learning. One useful learning model has three modes; study, observe and do. Most people employ all three modes in their learning process but have a preferred sequence. Some choose to try something out first while others would rather begin with study. Understanding the learning style of your individual students, subordinates and trainees allows you to work with them more effectively. For group work you can present material in all three modes so no one is left out. That said, some skills require a particular pattern. We wouldn’t want doctors to begin their learning process by doing open heart surgery and teaching your son to skateboard probably won't start with a trip to the library.