Wandering Into Wisdom

This blog chronicles the knowledge, insight and wisdom I encounter every day as a leadership consultant, executive coach, educator, father, friend and citizen. This site is dedicated to my father, Louis (Jack) Laughlin, who passed on to me an appreciation for wisdom. A special thanks to my friend Isaac Cheifetz, a businessman and journalist, who helped me understand the value of blogs and encouraged me to write one.

Guilt or Consequences*

Despite my request to keep his cell phone number confidential, my son gave it to a couple of his friends. Here is our conversation.

Son: What are my consequences?
Dad: None, you‘ll just have to deal with what happens.
Son: But why don’t I get any consequences?
Dad: You’re old enough to take responsibility for your actions.
Son: But my friends get consequences.
Dad: Don’t worry, you'll pay if your account runs low.
Son: Can I have some consequences?
Dad: Why do you want consequences so badly?
Son: So I won't have to feel so guilty.