Wandering Into Wisdom

This blog chronicles the knowledge, insight and wisdom I encounter every day as a leadership consultant, executive coach, educator, father, friend and citizen. This site is dedicated to my father, Louis (Jack) Laughlin, who passed on to me an appreciation for wisdom. A special thanks to my friend Isaac Cheifetz, a businessman and journalist, who helped me understand the value of blogs and encouraged me to write one.

Hey Stupid*

I remember telling one of my teams at General Mills not to make me call the president of the division stupid. Of course they didn’t understand so I explained how it would occur. First, we would base our recommendation on a prediction of what the president would do. Second, he would tell me that the recommendation was “stupid” and ask why I made it. Finally, I would tell him that we made it because we thought it’s what he would do. I challenged my group to always think for themselves regardless of whether or not they thought the president would agree.