Wandering Into Wisdom

This blog chronicles the knowledge, insight and wisdom I encounter every day as a leadership consultant, executive coach, educator, father, friend and citizen. This site is dedicated to my father, Louis (Jack) Laughlin, who passed on to me an appreciation for wisdom. A special thanks to my friend Isaac Cheifetz, a businessman and journalist, who helped me understand the value of blogs and encouraged me to write one.

It's Odd

Advances in medical diagnostics have changed the way we view physical and mental ailments. In my youth, I wondered why people no longer died of blood poisoning. I found out later that people still died of blood related illnesses, the classifications had just become more exact. A friend of mine has a child with aspergers. A hundred years ago we would have simply considered him odd. The dark side of these advancements is our growing tendency to pathologize anything about people we find unusual. In the end, some people are simply unique.