Wandering Into Wisdom

This blog chronicles the knowledge, insight and wisdom I encounter every day as a leadership consultant, executive coach, educator, father, friend and citizen. This site is dedicated to my father, Louis (Jack) Laughlin, who passed on to me an appreciation for wisdom. A special thanks to my friend Isaac Cheifetz, a businessman and journalist, who helped me understand the value of blogs and encouraged me to write one.

Are We Negotiating*

I remember a negotiation we settled for significantly less than we planned because the other party did a poor job of negotiating. They negotiated by justifying their demands which served only to give away their position. All we had to do was listen. Although skillful reconciliation looks much the same, the dynamics and outcomes are significantly different. Whereas negotiation minimizes what you give, reconciliation maximizes the respect and honor you show. Pushing the other party to understand you first serves only to widen the divide you are trying to close. What you need to do is listen.