Wandering Into Wisdom

This blog chronicles the knowledge, insight and wisdom I encounter every day as a leadership consultant, executive coach, educator, father, friend and citizen. This site is dedicated to my father, Louis (Jack) Laughlin, who passed on to me an appreciation for wisdom. A special thanks to my friend Isaac Cheifetz, a businessman and journalist, who helped me understand the value of blogs and encouraged me to write one.

Seeds of Revolution

In business school about 50 of us marched in a community parade as “The Briefcase Brigade.” To the crowd’s delight, we executed coordinated turns and spins with briefcases at our sides or on our heads. Unfortunately, we thought it would be funny to sing the alleged Harvard Business School fight song. “That’s alright, that’s OK, you’re gonna work for us some day.” The smiling crowd became considerably less friendly when they heard that song. I particularly remember the scornful look from one of the crowd control officers. Even as a joke, they didn’t appreciate a display of arrogance from a group aspiring to positions of power and authority.