Wandering Into Wisdom

This blog chronicles the knowledge, insight and wisdom I encounter every day as a leadership consultant, executive coach, educator, father, friend and citizen. This site is dedicated to my father, Louis (Jack) Laughlin, who passed on to me an appreciation for wisdom. A special thanks to my friend Isaac Cheifetz, a businessman and journalist, who helped me understand the value of blogs and encouraged me to write one.

Detection vs Prevention*

I know someone who learned the hard way the difference between fraud detection and fraud prevention. Their bookkeeper was allowed to fill out checks but not sign them. When they caught her forging checks she tearfully told them that she knew she would eventually get caught but the money was gone so she couldn't pay them back. After the owners fired her they decided to lock up the checkbook and fill out checks themselves. They haven't lost a dime since.