Wandering Into Wisdom

This blog chronicles the knowledge, insight and wisdom I encounter every day as a leadership consultant, executive coach, educator, father, friend and citizen. This site is dedicated to my father, Louis (Jack) Laughlin, who passed on to me an appreciation for wisdom. A special thanks to my friend Isaac Cheifetz, a businessman and journalist, who helped me understand the value of blogs and encouraged me to write one.

Evaluation or Affirmation*

When I ask my wife to look at these blog posts I want an objective evaluation so I can make improvements. When my son asks how I like his latest drawing I offer compliments and encouragement because he’s looking for affirmation. I have learned to pause when people ask my perspective so I can determine if they want my evaluation or my affirmation. I have also learned to be clear about which I want before I ask people's opinion. Potential contestants for American Idol should consider this carefully and, if they want affirmation, walk away.