Wandering Into Wisdom

This blog chronicles the knowledge, insight and wisdom I encounter every day as a leadership consultant, executive coach, educator, father, friend and citizen. This site is dedicated to my father, Louis (Jack) Laughlin, who passed on to me an appreciation for wisdom. A special thanks to my friend Isaac Cheifetz, a businessman and journalist, who helped me understand the value of blogs and encouraged me to write one.

You Can't Hold It Forever*

How many times have you tried to stop an unwanted behavior only to have it return with a vengeance? Like holding your breath, at some point you involuntarily gasp. One option is to find a new pattern of behavior that eliminates the old one. I have a friend who wanted to lose weight but simply couldn’t stop eating late at night. He tried popcorn, carrots and simply not eating, all to no avail. He finally resolved his unwanted late night snacking by going to bed early.