Wandering Into Wisdom

This blog chronicles the knowledge, insight and wisdom I encounter every day as a leadership consultant, executive coach, educator, father, friend and citizen. This site is dedicated to my father, Louis (Jack) Laughlin, who passed on to me an appreciation for wisdom. A special thanks to my friend Isaac Cheifetz, a businessman and journalist, who helped me understand the value of blogs and encouraged me to write one.

Our Frog Died*

There’s an old proverb that if you drop a frog in boiling water it will jump out, but if you put it in cold water and heat the water slowly it will boil to death. I wonder if we’re boiling to death when it comes to news about greedy financiers. Bernard Madoff is accused of running a ponzi scheme through his financial company that could be the largest financial fraud in history. Investigators estimate losses of up to fifty billion dollars. A year ago we would have thought, “That’s a lot of money.” Today, we might be too numb.