Wandering Into Wisdom

This blog chronicles the knowledge, insight and wisdom I encounter every day as a leadership consultant, executive coach, educator, father, friend and citizen. This site is dedicated to my father, Louis (Jack) Laughlin, who passed on to me an appreciation for wisdom. A special thanks to my friend Isaac Cheifetz, a businessman and journalist, who helped me understand the value of blogs and encouraged me to write one.

My Left Foot*

I struggled to learn to water ski on a single ski. No amount of advice and instruction seemed to make any difference. Then one day the new ski instructor shoved me from behind. When I turned around to tell him to knock it off he pointed to my feet and said, “You’re left footed.” It turns out that I had caught myself with my left foot rather than my right meaning that, although I’m right handed, I’m left foot dominate. I put my left foot forward and rose out of the water on the first try. It’s amazing what a little expert diagnosis can do.