Wandering Into Wisdom

This blog chronicles the knowledge, insight and wisdom I encounter every day as a leadership consultant, executive coach, educator, father, friend and citizen. This site is dedicated to my father, Louis (Jack) Laughlin, who passed on to me an appreciation for wisdom. A special thanks to my friend Isaac Cheifetz, a businessman and journalist, who helped me understand the value of blogs and encouraged me to write one.

Creative Genius*

I recently watched this video of Elizabeth Gilbert talking about the way she learned to deal with the success of her book “Eat, Pray, Love” which was on the New York Times #1 bestseller list for over a year. She looked to the ancient Greeks and Romans who believed that creativity was a gift from divine spirits that ebbs and flows through the artist. The Romans called this spirit a "genius." This belief does not diminish the work but provides a buffer from the creative roller coaster that can claim so much of their lives and sanity.