Wandering Into Wisdom

This blog chronicles the knowledge, insight and wisdom I encounter every day as a leadership consultant, executive coach, educator, father, friend and citizen. This site is dedicated to my father, Louis (Jack) Laughlin, who passed on to me an appreciation for wisdom. A special thanks to my friend Isaac Cheifetz, a businessman and journalist, who helped me understand the value of blogs and encouraged me to write one.

Sustainability*

There is a growing global dialog about sustainability and responsible use of resources. Although the discussion centers on environmental impact, the fact is, we're going to run out of resources sooner than people realize. Here are the world population figures for the last three centuries, with each of us using a lot more resources than our ancestors did three hundred years ago.

1700 – 0.6 billion
1800 – 1.0 billion
1900 – 1.7 billion
2000 – 6.1 billion