Wandering Into Wisdom

This blog chronicles the knowledge, insight and wisdom I encounter every day as a leadership consultant, executive coach, educator, father, friend and citizen. This site is dedicated to my father, Louis (Jack) Laughlin, who passed on to me an appreciation for wisdom. A special thanks to my friend Isaac Cheifetz, a businessman and journalist, who helped me understand the value of blogs and encouraged me to write one.

Flato*

As an undergraduate student I volunteered at a nursing home. I was struggling to understand life and figured that’s where the wisdom was. I particularly liked an African American gentleman named Flato. He would have objected to the label gentleman since he had very little education and spent most of his life on the road. His stories and perspectives on life taught me a great deal. I remember once telling him that I was getting tired of school and thinking about quitting. I figured he wouldn’t lecture me about getting an education. I was wrong.