Wandering Into Wisdom

This blog chronicles the knowledge, insight and wisdom I encounter every day as a leadership consultant, executive coach, educator, father, friend and citizen. This site is dedicated to my father, Louis (Jack) Laughlin, who passed on to me an appreciation for wisdom. A special thanks to my friend Isaac Cheifetz, a businessman and journalist, who helped me understand the value of blogs and encouraged me to write one.

Wheels*

When we think of the wheel as one of the most important technological advances in history we tend to think of transportation. Wagons, bicycles, cars and trains all ride on the wheels. Other important applications of the wheel are gears and pulleys. Gears allow for the amplification and transmission of force which allowed wind mills and water wheels to do work. Pulleys allow for a small amount of force to be amplified to a much greater force. Many ancient building projects depended on this technology and large sailing vessels would be impossible to handle without pulleys to turn the rudder and control the sails.