Wandering Into Wisdom

This blog chronicles the knowledge, insight and wisdom I encounter every day as a leadership consultant, executive coach, educator, father, friend and citizen. This site is dedicated to my father, Louis (Jack) Laughlin, who passed on to me an appreciation for wisdom. A special thanks to my friend Isaac Cheifetz, a businessman and journalist, who helped me understand the value of blogs and encouraged me to write one.

What's Next*

We live in a suburb of Minneapolis where maligning meteorologists is a local sport. Making forecasts of any kind is a complex and difficult task, but one way to assure failure is to assume change in only one factor. People predicted hard times for institutions of higher learning because of decreased birthrates at the end of the baby boom. So why have college costs gone up so much in recent years? Do the laws of supply and demand not apply to academia? Although, as predicted, the number of students graduating from high school has decreased the percentage of graduates going to college has increased so much that college enrollment has actually gone up. Now the number of students graduating from high school is increasing again, just as my kids are ready to go to college...great.