Wandering Into Wisdom

This blog chronicles the knowledge, insight and wisdom I encounter every day as a leadership consultant, executive coach, educator, father, friend and citizen. This site is dedicated to my father, Louis (Jack) Laughlin, who passed on to me an appreciation for wisdom. A special thanks to my friend Isaac Cheifetz, a businessman and journalist, who helped me understand the value of blogs and encouraged me to write one.

Do The Math

Something I learned from my experience in marketing is that consumers don’t always do the math. I know people who drive five to ten miles out of their way to pay two cents less per gallon for gas. They spend more than they save. What’s even more surprising is the people I meet who follow similar emotional reactions for business decisions. I had a very good friend, and boss, who wanted to buy a used piece of production equipment. Even after I showed him the financial analysis he had a very difficult time buying the newer, more efficient equipment.