Wandering Into Wisdom

This blog chronicles the knowledge, insight and wisdom I encounter every day as a leadership consultant, executive coach, educator, father, friend and citizen. This site is dedicated to my father, Louis (Jack) Laughlin, who passed on to me an appreciation for wisdom. A special thanks to my friend Isaac Cheifetz, a businessman and journalist, who helped me understand the value of blogs and encouraged me to write one.

Hidden Gifts

I watched the cat jump effortlessly onto the counter this morning and then walk away like it was no big deal. That's fine if you're a cat, but I see people treat their talents with the same disregard. Don’t mistake this for humility. At the very least, this blind spot prevents them from fully appreciating and utilizing their gifts. What's worse, they tend to assume everyone else has the same abilities and become frustrated with people less capable than themselves. Much of my work with executives and students involves creating a better awareness and utilization of their strengths, and compassion for any lack of these skills in others.