Wandering Into Wisdom

This blog chronicles the knowledge, insight and wisdom I encounter every day as a leadership consultant, executive coach, educator, father, friend and citizen. This site is dedicated to my father, Louis (Jack) Laughlin, who passed on to me an appreciation for wisdom. A special thanks to my friend Isaac Cheifetz, a businessman and journalist, who helped me understand the value of blogs and encouraged me to write one.

HAL

HAL was the ship's computer in the movie “2001 A Space Odyssey” that killed almost the entire crew. By 2001 computers looked a lot different than the film makers had imagined. They did get one thing right, the way a computer can destroy life as we know it. I decided to install some software on my new PC that I had installed on my old computer with no issues. I selected yes when the computer politely asked permission to uninstall existing software, restarted my computer, and you can guess what happened next. I had to use my phone to e-mail an S.O.S. to my technical guy.